Mettle Forger HTL/HTLS Training Plan Review
I will be completing a GORUCK Jedburgh in July. I have heard recommendations you should at least be in shape to complete a Challenge, but if you are in shape for a Heavy then even better. I purchased the Mettle Forger HTL/HTLS training plan to help me prep for the event. TL;DR I do not recommend the guide for the cost. The tips, set ups, and training methods can be found in after action reports for free without any effort.
- Equipment requirements are minimal (ruck, sandbag, and pull up bar) if you are okay with substitutions.
- Teaches how to make gear e.g. a pull up bar and sandbag
- Provides clear photos of the gear load outs and ruck set ups.
- The layout is atrocious in the Kindle app. The quotes, sidebars, and special characters did not translate into the Kindle app. As a PDF the layout is perfectly fine. It is easily read with the Gumroad app which is the service which sells the book. The Gumroad app is free.
- You’ll be flipping back and forth between the general schedule and the actual workouts. I find this to be annoying, but par for the course for workout manuals.
- All of the information can easily be found for free with no effort. Spending $35 did not save me time in comparison to doing a quick Google search.
- It is helpful to have a barbell for deadlifts, a kettlebell for swings and farmer’s carries, and equipment to test UBRR
- It refers you out to another site for some workouts: “Go to Sealfit.com and search for Monster Mash and pick a WOD”. Might as well tell me to go to my local library and look at the books in 796.41.
The main take away for me is that I should examine the tools I already have before I purchase another. I was aware of this lesson before I purchased the book, but when we are tired we are attacked by ideas we conquered long ago. My fault; lesson learned. If you knew you wanted to do a Heavy, but had no clue where to begin, then there is a slim possibility this text is worth $35. For the rest of us:
- Pick a training regimen
- Develop mental fortitude; try meditating